Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A matter of growing in stature

I struggle keeping a journal. I feel like the important things are things I learn not the things that happen to me. I may very well be wrong, but there it is.
Often I wish I were a better person, but I have learned that self loathing is no way to begin. Some time ago the thought occurred to me that we are born as babes, not men. Interesting that we should expect of ourselves the same stature as the men and women we look up to. Perhaps in our impatience we expect ourselves to measure up to them now rather than later after we have had an opportunity to grow.
As far as growing is concerned, I have learned there are things that are beyond us. Progress comes much easier if you look, first, to the things you can accomplish. Perhaps after you have accomplished a few simple things you will find you have the power to win the ultimate prize. After all, stumbling blocks are not so different from stepping stones.
In your endeavors, good luck. I look out at the world and see much despair and hatred. I hope that in the days ahead we may also find many friends as well. Till then.

No comments: